How NOT to go through BART fare gates
Photo by Flickr user Orin Zebest
BART rider Beth W. writes in to proffer these suggestions, no-nos you might call them, for passing through fare gates:
* Meander up to the exit, block one of the gates, and then fumble around in your pockets/bag/etc. for your ticket.
* Go through the gates quickly and successfully, then stop walking once the red plastic bits close behind you. For bonus points, start
talking on your cell phone.
* Try to go through one of the gates showing a red circle with a bar through it. Look confused when it doesn’t work. Keep trying.
* Try to get through the gates with an invalid ticket. Get irate when the machine beeps at you. Attempt to slide it through 5 or 6 more times.
* Slide your ticket into the slot for the disabled exit, then try to pick up your ticket from the (nonexistent) spot on top of the machine. If you were in a wheelchair, could you reach up there? No? Then that isn’t where your ticket is.
* Go through the gates with a large suitcase or stroller. Get stuck. Eye passersby pleadingly for help.
* Push your bicycle through the fare gates. Watch as the red gate closes on your bicycle.
* Pay with an exact fare, then throw a tantrum when the machine doesn’t give your ticket back.
What are your favorite BART fare-gate fails? Share.