Muni News: More About the Bayview Shooting
By now we know that the man shot by police officers after a Muni fare inspection was Kenneth Wade Harding, a Washington State parolee “sought for questioning in the slaying of a Seattle woman,” according to SFGate.
Harding was paroled in April from prison in Washington after serving time for an incident in Seattle in which he tried to force a 14-year-old girl into prostitution, court records show.
Seattle investigators were seeking Harding as a person of interest in a shooting Wednesday that killed 19-year-old Tanaya Gilbert and wounded three others, said Seattle police spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb.
Harding was stopped at 4:44 p.m. Saturday by two uniformed officers who, while patrolling Third Street between Oakdale and Palou avenues, were conducting a fare inspection on a Muni light-rail platform.
When the officers tried to talk to Harding, he ran into Mendell Plaza and fired a gun from under his arm, police said.
The officers fired back, hitting Harding, police said.
Read all the coverage of this story from the past two days:
- Muni Fare Evader Killed by SFPD Was Washington Murder Suspect (SFist)
- SF Muni Drivers Face Violent Attacks After Fatal Police Shooting (CBS Local)
- March against shooting scheduled tonight (Uptown Almanac)
- Victim in Seattle shooting linked to Kenneth Harding wasn’t pregnant (SF Examiner)
- Activists Call For FBI Investigation After SFPD Shoots And Kills Man During Muni Fare Inspection (SF Appeal)
- Man shot during police chase was murder suspect (Sacramento Bee)
- Person Of Interest Met With Parole Officer Hours Before Shooting (KIROTV)
- SFPD Says Man Killed by Police in Bayview-Hunters Point Shot First; Video of Shooting Aftermath (KQED)
- Community Reaction To SFPD Shooting Of Man During Muni Fare Inspection Continues (SF Appeal, also SFist)
- S.F.: Anger in Bayview over fatal shooting by cops (SFGate)
- Mayor, City Officials Meet With Community Members On Fatal Police Shooting (SF Appeal)
- SF police arrest 35 in protest of fatal shooting (SFGate)
See our earlier roundup of the shooting last weekend.